Sunday 10 November 2013

some words about new words.

I'm currently, as we speak and have been playing about with words. As a foundation for my self promotion work I basically was amazed by how the Oxford English Dictionary (OED) select and 'confirm' new words. You might remember the mini scandalous news flash that words such as 'twerk' and 'selfie' had made into the dictionary. Well, this is because they are as it turns out, real. This is kind of brought about because we use them, and the more we as a society use words, the realer they become, surely. Thats the way the OED see it, and not (much to my surprise) as a snooty exclusive club for the 'proper english'. Seen as after all if we, the English use them... then they are destined to become a part of the language.

Here are some experiments i've been doing, jumbling up all these new found words and seeing what I make of it, early stages but playful all the same. The new words I selected purely by chance were, selfie, twerk, apols and srsly. BTW.

I'll keep you posted on any revelations, or progress either way. 




























No comments:

Post a Comment